This website is devoted to providing a support system, and a central hub for LETS groups. Local Exchange Trading Schemes are about connecting people, easing poverty, tackling social exclusion and enhancing community spirit in all sectors of society. Individual schemes will have specific local or common objectives, but in general LETS provides a voluntary, not-for-profit vehicle to pursue objectives such as:
- Exchange of goods and services
- Enabling and encouraging social transactions and mutual support
- Encouraging people to be active, to maintain their skills, and develop new skills
- Achieving Local Agenda 21 objectives - by educating members to "think globally - act locally" towards better stewardship of the planet.
- a Local Currency System
- or a Timebased Commitment System,
- a Gifting System
- or a combination of the above
We need to ensure that
- Each scheme has access to sufficient resources to be self-sustaining in the long-term
- The way schemes are run complies with existing and future legislative demands
- We keep accounts accurately so that the balance of transactions is zero
- We agree on policies to deal with surpluses and defaults
- We provide opportunities for existing members to meet, and outreach effectively to recruit new members in sectors and levels of society
- We encourage mutuality, multiculturalism, empowerment and training.